yconic - University of Waterloo: Conditional Admission to Pharmacy (CAP) 2018/2019
Explore yconic
Explore Student Life Topics
CIBC Student Banking
STUDENT CHAMPION
yconic proudly recognizes Student Champion Partners who are providing our community with superior support for their student journeys. Learn More
Student Help Brands

University of Waterloo: Conditional Admission to Pharmacy (CAP) 2018/2019

A photo of Anonymous Anonymous
Hey everyone! 
Application time is quickly approaching as we near the end of the year. This thread is for anyone applying or planning  to apply to the University of Waterloo's Conditional Admission to Pharmacy program in 2019. Feel free to ask any questions- about student life, academics, the application process, AIF, the interview, or anything in between! 

Hopefully this can help you! 
-a CAP student
Was this helpful? Yes 0
6 replies

Just wondering what your admission average was and how many and what kind of questions did they ask you during the interview process? Do you think it makes a difference if your average is 90 or 95 for admission purposes? And did you have a lot of pharmacy related volunteer hours prior to applying to the program? How are you finding your first year, do you think it will be difficult to maintain the required average to keep your conditional acceptance? Which program did you select, honours science? 

Thanks In advance for your help and advice! 
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hey there!
Whether your high school average was 90 or 98 should not matter at all. It has been said many times before that as long you past that 90 threshold, you should be fine! There is usually a wide range of admission averages in the CAP classes. As for the interview, the goal for the admission officers is to analyze how deeply you've looked into pharmacy, and how passionate you are. Pharmacy experience is definitely not required for CAP, but it certainly gives you are more competitive edge. First year so far is going fine! It's definitely a lot more work than high school but its very manageable. I can't speak for how upper year courses will go (haha ORGO) , but based on upper classes, it seems very doable. 
Hope this helps!
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Would taking 4U English online hurt my chances of getting CAP status if I have a high 90s average and work in a pharmacy?
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Does it matter how long you've been working at a pharmacy? I'm starting work at a pharmacy a month before the application is due...
Was this helpful? Yes 0

Hello, 
The majority of students who are offered CAP status have pharmacy experience prior to the application/ interview. There were only two people in my year who were offered CAP status without having any pharmacy experience (I was one of the two). So, you do not need to have pharmacy experience to be offered a spot, but it clearly seems to help. 

You can certainly start working at a pharmacy now! I think that any experience (even if minimal) is better than none. You can use the pharmacy experience that you obtain in the next month to gain insight into the pharmacy profession and this well help you with both the written application and then the interview. 

Best of luck, 
CAP 2016 student :) 
Was this helpful? Yes 1

For the references, is it crucial to have a pharmacist as a reference?
Was this helpful? Yes 0